Drum set

Discuss the DTX series, drum triggers, pads and monitoring systems here.

Drum set

Postby Shawn Kelly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:14 pm

Is there a recommended set of drum pads to connect through the CVP (and how?) to use the CVP as the brain? The idea is to use the CVP voices but trigger them with an external set instead of the keyboard.
Shawn Kelly

Re: Drum set

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:45 pm

Shawn,

Any drum pad that has MIDI connectivity shouldn't have any problems accessing the CVP's internal sounds and vice versa, however, if you want to go with a Yamaha, there are at least 3 drum pad models that would go well for what you're trying to do:

* Yamaha DD55 & DD55C
* Yamaha YDD-60

You would connect the drum pad and CVP with MIDI cables. In your scenario (you want to control the CVP with the drum pad), you would attach one end of the MIDI cable to the drum pad's MIDI OUT port and the other end to the CVP's MIDI IN port. At this point, the two instruments should be communicating with each other. If not, consult the instruments' manuals to determine what parameters need to be set (such as local channels, etc) in order to enable communication.

Hope that helps!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Kelly » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:55 am

Thanks for the very clear explanation. It seemed that it should be this simple but it helps to have someone say it. This way the pads provide the feel but the CVP provides the sound. I'm not sure how much better an external electronic drum set with its own brain would sound over the CVP409. :)
Shawn Kelly

Postby Admin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:07 pm

I would imagine it would sound a whole lot better than using the CVP's internal drum kit. I believe those links to those drum pads in the previous post might have some demos attached to them. I'll see if I can find any demos on those drum pads from You Tube and post the links here.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Electronic Drums and Stuff